Tuesday, December 10, 2013

BISCUITS AND GRAVY

I was talking a couple of weeks ago with a sweet friend and sister writer who has been mentoring me through the book editing/rewriting/publishing process. Crazy hormones and menopausal mood swings aside, we both agreed that we are at a sweet season in life with so very much for which to be thankful.

Is my life today what I dreamed of as a bright-eyed child? Way back in the long-ago, I dreamed of being a veterinarian. I loved horses and thought maybe one day I'd own a ranch, perhaps one that served as a ministry to troubled youth. Hopefully I'd get married, and maybe even have a few kids of my own.

I am not a veterinarian. I do not own a ranch or even a single horse. (I do, however, have a flock of extremely silly chickens, if that counts for anything!) I am not directly involved in ministry to troubled youth.

But I am married to a man who works hard to provide for me and for our family. I have seven wonderful children. I live right next door to the most amazing in-laws in the world, on a beautiful farm in the hills of West Tennessee. I attend a church where Scripture is faithfully preached, where my faith is challenged and strengthened, and where I am able to serve my sisters and brothers in Christ.

So, what does all of this have to do with writing and publishing a book?

I love to write, and I am super excited to finally have my first fiction published and out in the big, wide world where others can purchase and read it. This is a BIG deal for me! But, it's not my whole world. My security is not based on the number of books sold, and my personal happiness is not a by-product of glowing reviews.

Yes, I would really like for this book - and the next, and the next - to do well. But, as Lisa put it, that would be "gravy on the biscuits...and I've already been served a plate of pretty darned good biscuits!"

Is my life exactly what I dreamed it would be as a girl? No, it's quite different than I could have imagined - and, I think, it's even better.

Makes me think of the passage in Proverbs 16:9 that talks about how we make our plans, but God orders our steps.

I am so thankful that God is sovereign and that I am not. I am thankful that, while I make my own plans for my life, it is God's plan that will be accomplished.

And I'm thankful for friends who remind me to stop and savor the biscuits. Mmmmm!

No comments: