Tuesday, June 19, 2018

WHY DOES THE CHURCH NEGLECT HER OWN? (Part 2 of 4)

(For Part 1 of this series of posts, click HERE.)

I do not know why the church neglects and wounds her own. I do know...

Within the visible church - those gathered under the name of Christ - there are both wheat and tares, sheep and goats, true shepherds and hirelings; and while I may think I know which is which, only God knows the true condition of a person's heart.

I know that even among wheat, sheep, and shepherds, we are not all at the same place at the same time, spiritually speaking. My faith journey and yours will not look exactly the same. I may be blind to things that you can see. You may be unaware of things to which I am spiritually sensitive. We need much grace, for ourselves and as we relate to one another.

I know that even the church - a very good thing - can become an idol. I am tempted to look to the church to satisfy and sustain me, rather than looking to Jesus. When the church utterly fails me, I realize how much of my faith I have put in the church, in the people who make up the church, instead of in God.

I know that the church is a redeemed harlot, and that old ways are hard to leave behind. Like the prostitute in 2 Kings 6, those within the visible church will even "eat their own children." And yet Christ, possessing power and love that we cannot comprehend, looks at his sin-scarred bride and says: She is precious to me; I will redeem her; I WILL redeem her.

I know that my redeemer calls me to love as He loves, even the most unlovely, and especially his bride. To answer that call, I must keep my focus on and fan my desire for Jesus.

Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments: