Wednesday, March 21, 2012

BUTTS, CREDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL, AND SAMMICHES

I've been told my blog tends to be a bit too heavy and depressing. I admit it: I am not a light, humorous person. So, I recruited one of the funniest, coolest people I know to help. This is kinda how our conversation went yesterday afternoon:

"Any ideas for a fun blog post?"

"Um, no."

"But you're such a fun kind of guy!"

"I'm not a blogger."

Anyway, this stimulating conversation led to the conclusion that - TA DA! - today I should post about butts, Credence Clearwater Revival, and "sammiches." My Expert Adviser told me this would be absolutely hysterical. I have to admit - I don't quite get it. I must be more un-fun that I thought.

This puts me totally out of my element. After pounding my empty head on the counter for a couple of minutes, I got this really clever idea that it would be fun to do a poetical spoof of "Bad Moon Rising"....

I see the full moon arising
I see laughter on the way
I see jumping and splashing
I see good times today

Don't head toward the pond tonight
Unless you are a Brother
There is a full moon on the rise

(Okay, so it's not quite CCR. I need a jammin' guitar in the background to help stir the Muse.)

I tend to be more Austen-ian, so let's try another tack. A few lines of dialogue from my next novel. You'll just have to figure out scene/context on you own.

"What's for lunch?"

"PORK, Mother! The last of the smoked Boston..."

"But smoked pork is so greasy and rich. Don't eat too much - you'll make yourself sick."

"Don't worry, Mom. There were just two buns left anyway, so I only made a couple sammiches."

"You didn't leave a bun for me? You bum!"

"Hey, do we have any chips? Looks like we're in for nasty weather. Have you ever seen the rain comin' down on a sunny day?"

Sigh. This is much harder than I thought it would be. Maybe you can help me out: got any great ideas for a fun blog post? :)

4 comments:

troal said...

If you like, I'll send along my notes on John Nash,insanity, God's will and string theory!! You'll laugh yer Boston pork sammich off!!!

Anonymous said...

How about ring-worm from swimming in a ditch?DAD

Camille said...

RB - You just made my head explode. Dad - I've done the ringworm thing, and it's NOT FUNNY!

Anonymous said...

Ever get sammiched between the devil and the deap blue sea? Not a funny as two little girls swimming in a ditch.Dad