Wednesday, May 1, 2013

CONTINGENCIES

In the song "Beautiful Boy," composed for his second son, John Lennon sings these words:  "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Can you relate? You've made plans. You've got a long To-Do list and you're ready to start checking things off. Then, life interrupts.

That's kinda how my day went yesterday.

I had too many things to possibly get done, but I was determined to make it as far down my list as possible.

Item 1: Try, for the umpteenth time, to order a return transcript from the IRS for our 2012 taxes. I've made numerous phone calls, spent over 6 hours on hold, and received a creative assortment of disparate information from the IRS over the past couple of months concerning our 2012 return. Yesterday, still no success. Move that item to tomorrow's To-Do list.

Item 2: Complete two writing projects, both of which are dependent upon input from other people. Project #1, my partner is still working on his part of the project, which was due last week, but promises me he'll have it done by the end of this week. Project #2, my partner is not responding to emails. Move both of these items to tomorrow's To-Do list.

Item 3: Mow the yard. Mower won't start. Ben and I spend a considerable amount of time trying to diagnose the problem and get the mower started, but with no success. Move mowing to tomorrow's To-Do list.

Item 4: Finish reading some of the books I'm reviewing. Picked up the book I was nearest completing, sat down on the couch and began reading. Read myself to sleep. When I woke up, I did finish this first book, but decided I'd better wait to tackle the others until I was more alert. Move "finishing books" to tomorrow's To-Do list.

I could go on with my fractured To-Do list, but you get the idea.

However, in spite of the above (and other) frustrated efforts, I did manage to do schoolwork with Helen, get a card in the mail to a friend, reschedule an eye appointment, wash my bed linens, write on the blog, cook dinner, and take a leisurely afternoon walk back on the farm. Even waded in the creek with Helen.

In spite of my plans, life happened. And it was pretty good.

No comments: