Friday, August 5, 2016

TREASURES

Gifts my kids have given me:

  • New eyes, to see new things.
  • New ears, to hear new voices.
  • New ideas, so I can think in new ways.
  • New questions, that I never thought to ask before.
  • New answers, when I have reached a dead end.
  • New taste buds, to enjoy new foods.
  • A new vocabulary, with words like solfeggietto and pointillism and Sriracha.
  • New music, by artists like Moritz Moszkowski and Steve Vai and The White Stripes.
  • New stories, stories about long ago and now and ever after.
  • New friends, like Lisa and Mark and Amber and Carson.
  • New family: new sisters and brothers and children and grands.
  • A view to a new future, with bright possibilities for this next season of life.

How big does a womb have to stretch to hold seven children? How big does a mother's heart have to stretch to hold seven children? And then, add their lovers and in-laws and children, their roommates and fishing buddies and best friends...how big does a heart have to be then? How much can it expand?

That's the best gift, I think - a new heart, one that is a bigger, broader, fuller, and more grateful than I could have imagined possible.

Thank you, my loves! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments: