Tuesday, November 1, 2016

WHAT SHOULD I FEAR?

"Do you believe that God is sovereign?" my daughter asked as she noted my white-knuckle grip on the door handle, my feet pushed hard against the floorboard.

I narrowed my eyes. "Yes, you know I do."

"Then what do you have to be afraid of?"

The above conversation was repeated more than a few times as I rode shotgun when my youngest was learning to drive. I explained to her that I was not afraid of dying. Nope, not at all. Faced that fear years ago while lying in a hospital bed.

No, I was afraid of almost dying. Afraid of being pulled from a tangle of twisted steel, mangled beyond repair, and having to face who-knows-how-many-years of excruciating pain between this life and the next.

Still, she had a point.

Momentary flashes of spontaneous terror and the I-hate-spiders heebie-jeebies aside, if I truly believe that God is sovereign - and that He is good, and that He loves me very much - which, indeed, He is and He does - of what should I rightly be afraid?

Should I live in a state of fear about...
  • My safety on the road?
  • How I will be provided for in my old age?
  • The increasingly anti-Christian culture in which we live?
  • The outcome of this year's election?
  • The spread of terrorism?
Should I fear...
  • Challenges to my faith?
  • Questions about doctrine?
  • Those who disagree with me or who belittle or ridicule my faith?
  • Those who harbor evil intent against me?
 Should I be afraid because...
  • My faith is often weak?
  • My vocabulary is too small?
  • My resume is not impressive?
  • I am not charismatic or articulate?

Seriously, I am asking you a question. I am asking YOU a question! I want your feedback. Please, comment below or reply on Facebook with your answer: As a Christian, when/of what and/or of whom should I rightly be afraid?

* * * * *

Remember, sinner, it is not thy hold of Christ that saves thee - it is Christ; it is not thy joy in Christ that saves thee - it is Christ; it is not even faith in Christ, though that is the instrument - it is Christ's blood and merits; therefore, look not to thy hope, but to Christ, the source of thy hope; look not to thy faith, but to Christ, the author and finisher of thy faith; and if thou doest that, ten thousand devils cannot throw thee down. - C.H. Spurgeon

Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you...It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear of be dismayed. - Deuteronomy 31:6, 8



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"though I walk through the valley of the shadow shadow of death, I will fear no evil." He protects me. He comforts me. He nurtures me. He goes with me. I am comfortable. It is old but it is true. Love you. Dad