Wednesday, November 1, 2017

YOU'VE GOT MAIL!

"I hope I get a letter today. Do you think there will be anything in the mail for me today?"

Less than a week ago, letters were the currency of highest value at our house. A small white envelope in the mailbox transformed the dreariest day into an occasion to celebrate. A certain return address, a particular handwriting...these things wielded more power than sunshine.

But letter value plummeted this past weekend. Monday and Tuesday, there were no anxious, eager rushes to the mailbox at my house. No text messages from campus: "Anything in the mail today?" No bright smile and eager stampede up the stairs, treasure in hand, when the answer was Yes. No sad sigh - "Well, maybe tomorrow..." - when the answer was No.

Why did letter currency depreciate in value so drastically, so suddenly? What happened?

I'll tell you what happened. The name above the return address...that young man came home.

The sparkling eyes and bright smiles are no longer reserved for words written on paper. They are lavished with joyful extravagance on the actual person, the real thing, standing right here in the flesh.

We all love getting letters in the mail, don't we? Real letters, written by hand, by a real person, addressed especially to us, with love and tender affection.

As I watched the value of written letters plummet on the stock market exchange of relationship this weekend, I thought...

This is how we live as believers, is it not?, as we come daily to God's written Word, eager to read what He has written, especially for us, in love.

At least, I think this is how we should feel about God's Word, this beautiful, intimate letter written especially for His beloved, for us, for me.

As I witnessed a sweet reunion this weekend, I thought...

If my countenance does not now brighten at a letter from my Beloved, how will I respond when I see Jesus face to face? If I do not now delight in His words, will I then delight in His person?

But if I DO delight in His written Word today, if I read each word with eager anticipation, how very sweet must be the moment when I at long last stand before my Savior and behold Him in the flesh - see Him, hear Him, touch Him! I sometimes think my heart cannot bear the magnitude of such joy. Oh, how I long for that day!

Well, from all appearances, today is not that day of sweet reunion. Today is not the day I get to see Jesus face to face. But, guess what...

Today, Yes!, I have a letter!

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. - Hebrews 11:1

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then, I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. - 1 Corinthians 13:12

No comments: