Tuesday, September 25, 2018

STRESS RELIEF


I love water.

I love the sound of water - waves against the beach, raindrops on the roof, children splashing in puddles, the gurgle of water as it filters over black coffee grounds in the morning.

I love the feel of water - cold creek water on hiking-sore feet, the gentle massage of the rising and falling swells beyond the surf zone at the shore, the soothing comfort of a hot shower or bath after a long day of work.

I love the smell of water - the sweet freshness of rain on the hay field, the sharp tang of rain on asphalt, the chlorine bite of a swimming pool, the savory saltiness of ocean air, the pungent funk of edgewater at the pond back on Granddaddy's farm.

I have often said that if I had a spirit animal, mine would be a manatee. I have no idea what work I will be assigned in heaven or in the new earth, but I hope my job will involve water. Maybe God will let me be a manatee shepherdess. Or a mermaid.

Life has been stressful lately. The challenge of learning new job skills and the emotional exertion required to work daily with sick and hurting people. My normal at-home routine - pfft! - all akimbo. What routine?! The weight of long-standing relationship struggles, with no resolution in sight.

How do I de-stress?
  • I de-stress by writing. Not much time for writing lately.
  • Snatches of quiet and solitude help me process stress, too - prayer, long walks on the farm, meditative yoga. But there's been no quiet and solitude on my calendar lately, either!
  • And water. Water is a great stress reliever for me: tumbling over rocks in the creek, lapping gently at pond's edge, crashing rhythmically against a ribbon of golden sand. Ah, to go back to the beach!


My middle daughter and I were busy in the kitchen this morning, trying to juggle the chaos and noise of small children, breakfasts and baking, bumped noggins and crossed wills, plinking piano and sauce-pot drums.

As we negotiated this cacophony of life, the sky broke open in a deluge, sang a couple verses of one of its favorite songs, "Remember That Man Noah?"

Martha raised the kitchen windows and propped open the front door. The two of us stood in the doorway for several minutes, soaking up the sound and the sweetness of the torrential rain.

And although the sky was very dark indeed, my heart and soul felt lighter.

* * *

What about you? What are some of your favorite stress relievers? I'd love to hear your thoughts!


No comments: