Thursday, June 22, 2023

I'M NOT WHO I USED TO BE...

Before

A new reader sent me a sweet message last week stating she had been enjoying reading through old posts and she was glad I was back writing new posts again here at the blog. Her words were such an encouragement to me.

I write, primarily, for myself: writing is a way for me to think through things and process life. Writing allows me to get thoughts and words out of my head and put them down in type so they don't knock about in my head late at night keeping me awake.

I write primarily for myself, but I also write for others. Perhaps my struggles or experiences, shared here, will resonate with another and provide some small measure of hope, encouragement, or simply a sense of "I'm not alone in the world." (When that happens, it's magic. It makes me feel less alone, too.)

But, honestly, when this reader said she had been reading through old posts, my first thought was, "Oh, no! What has she been reading?! What on earth did I write?!"

You see, I have been posting on this blog for 15 years. And, well, I am not the same person I was when I started this little endeavor.

My hair is gray now and my middle is thick. My kids are grown and my nest is empty. I used to know a great many things absolutely. Now, I know very few things absolutely...but those few things, I know with greater certainty than ever before. If I had time or inclination to read back through 15+ years of posts, I feel certain I would discover much that I regret in hindsight, opinions and attitudes I no longer agree with, that no longer fit me.

If you are new to the blog, please be merciful when you read back through the years. This blog is a kind of documentation of the progression from who I was a decade and a half ago to who I am today. I'm still "in process."

I guess we all are, really.

Thank you, dear reader, for sharing the journey with me.

In Process


No comments: