Sunday, April 21, 2024

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE

The past month and a half - work, home, life in general - has been a little hairy for me.

If you've known me for very long, you may be thinking, "Seems like this theme keeps repeating itself, Camille. Are you serious?"

Life just seems to have this cycle for me where things get really hard, and then I get a breather, and then things rock along pretty steady, and then problems or difficulties arise and pressure starts to build again like steam in a boiler. Neck muscles turn into steel cables, I develop chronic indigestion, and restful sleep eludes me. I find myself thinking, "This is too much! I can't do this anymore!"

Deep weariness - weariness of not just body, but of soul and spirit - isn't "fixed" by an afternoon off, a trip to the nail salon, or just-one-more margarita. Yoga - when I can make it to class - helps unkink the knots in my neck and sunshine brightens my mood, but even these do not relieve soul weariness.

Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matt. 11:28-29, NLT; emphasis added)

I am so thankful that God has given me friends who, when I am overwhelmed and discouraged, lead me back to Jesus, the source of true rest.

It is nice to have a safe place where I can put down the weight on my heart and simply breathe. A place where the coffee is strong, the conversation easy, and at the end of the day, a warm bed and soft pillow are waiting.

Christ will hold us fast. But we need gospel friends to hold us close. - Albert Mohler

No comments: