Friday, January 25, 2019

YOU MAKE ME SMILE

I settled into my second-row seat in the lecture auditorium for Wednesday morning's Microbiology class. The professor whose class had just vacated the room stood beside the lectern in the front of the room, sorting papers and notes and packing them into his satchel.

Barrel-chested, a little on the short side, an epic beard that reached halfway to his waist, a pleasant face...the man fit the description of a professor one of my kids had enjoyed studying under a couple of years ago. As he passed in front of me, headed toward the exit, I leaned forward in my seat and ventured a guess: "Excuse me, are you Dr. P---?"

He stopped and turned to face me. "Yes, I am."

I stood and held out my hand. "I'm Camille Kendall. I am so glad to meet you, Dr. P---. I believe you taught one of my kids - Reuben."

Dr. P---'s countenance brightened. "Why, yes! How is Reuben doing?" he asked as he grasped my hand and shook it vigorously. "Where is he now?" I gave Dr. P--- a quick update on my son, then Dr. P--- continued: "I still have a few specimens with Reuben's name on them. Every time I look at them, I smile. Please, tell Reuben I asked about him," he beamed, "and that I say 'Hello!'"

* * *

When I mentioned my son's name, his former professor's face lit up like sunshine. This happens not infrequently, this response to "I'm Reuben's mom." It happens, too, when I say, "I'm (Emily/Nate/Tom/Ben/Martha/Helen)'s mom."

All of this to say...

Dear children of mine -

Scripture commands: "Honor your father and mother..." (Exodus 20:12). Everyone single one of you has done that. Each time I encounter someone else whose life you have impacted, I am astounded at the great honor with which you have blessed me.

Thank you. I am deeply grateful. And, I am deeply humbled...such honor from those who best know my frailties!

Thank you.

And, I love you.

You beautiful people make me feel like the richest woman on earth.

Wow...this was six taken six grand-babies ago!

No comments: