Friday, April 1, 2011

YOUR VERY LIFE

On a normal morning at our house, I start the coffee, make breakfast for Steve and me, get hubby out the door, and then - usually - have about an hour to myself before time to start second breakfast. Yes, I do feel a little guilty for not rousting the kids out earlier...but I really like having at least a small window of time to myself before the day gets all crazy.

This morning, for example (the griddle is heating for oatmeal pancakes, so I'll have to write fast): Steve is on his way to a meeting in Milan; Ben is out scouting turkeys; someone is in the shower upstairs. Very soon, my offspring will be downstairs ready for breakfast and another day of schoolwork. Also very soon, baby Maryanna will be here. Very soon, my window of quiet opportunity will have vanished. What to do with the precious time I have, as the clock ticks away?

I confess: after I wave goodbye to Steve and then pour my second cup of coffee, my first thought is, "I'll check email." Of course, what that really means is, I'll check email/Facebook/blogspot/headline news/etc. (I'm a big fan of tabs.) Then, poof!, time's up. Time to make pancakes.

This year, I am once again endeavoring to read through the entire Bible. But I've discovered something weird - if I don't read my Bible during that quiet morning pause between first and second breakfasts, I almost never get back to it later in the day. Sure, there have been a few times when I've curled up at night and had a good read - but that's the exception, not the rule.

Another weird thing I've discovered - if I don't check email/Facebook/blog/news/etc. first thing in the morning, I'll most certainly do so later in the day.

Ouch. People, what does this say about what matters most to me?

Last week, reading in Deuteronomy, I came across this verse: Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess. - Deut. 32:46-47

My very life?! Is this how I approach the Word of God?!

I'll get impatient with one of my kids because he's tying up the wireless internet connection stick thingy. I tend to defend my access to and time on the computer. Am I as zealous about defending my time in Scripture? Do I grieve a missed opportunity to spend a few minutes in solitude with God?

My prayer is that God will enable me to value His Word and communion with Him as I ought. Email, Facebook, blogging...they can just wait.

(Emily, thanks for taking over the griddle this morning!)

1 comment:

The Westmorelands said...

just wondering if you use google reader? if you check several blogs, you definitely SHOULD use it.