Monday, July 30, 2012

NUNCHAKU IN MY LOCKER

I have a 30-year high school reunion coming up in September.  I know, I know - you find it hard to believe that I graduated high school when I was only 6 years old.  But, hey, I was a very precocious child.

A former classmate mentioned the upcoming reunion waaaaay back in the spring, when I was still cashiering at Wal-Mart.  Wow, I thought, six months isn't very much time to get ready for a reunion.  I'd better get on the ball! Let's see...I needed to lose 25 pounds, and get that book published, and overhaul my wardrobe.  And maybe learn to speak French.

Instead, I gained 15 pounds.  I have not gotten the book published.  Although I quit working at Wal-Mart, my wardrobe is still predominantly blue and khaki.  And I don't speak French.

What was I thinking?

Truth be told, I was an absolute dweeb in high school.  The movie Napoleon Dynamite (LOVED IT!) could've been written about me.  Socially awkward.  Living in a world inside my head.  Busy catching delicious bass and taming wild stallions.  Yep, that was me.  Really.

So, even if I trimmed down and toned up, landed a big dollar book contract, tricked out in a little black dress, and purred with a sexy accent, Dahling, my old high school classmates would know better.

But you know what?  After all these years, I think they'll be fine with me just the way I am.  Even without bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills, nunchaku skills...or really puffy sleeves. ;)

No comments: