Wednesday, June 10, 2015

TIME, TIDE, AND POLE BEANS

Geoffrey Chaucer is credited with the saying:  "Time and tide wait for no man."

I would like to add to that list:  pole beans don't wait, either.

I meant to stake the pole beans a couple of weekends ago, but I just didn't get around to it. When I spotted a few wispy tendrils reaching for the sky among the rows of beans, I decided that I absolutely, positively HAD to stake the pole beans last Saturday. But last Saturday was crazy busy and I never made it out to the garden.

This morning, I finally ventured into the garden to stake the beans. I found myself tripping over vines that reached across the rows, searching for something - anything, even another young bean plant - to climb, weaving themselves into a tangled green web.

After an hour and a half of staking and tying and untangling and redirecting, the bean plants are in good order. I feel much better - the beans can climb to their hearts' content now without blocking my path between the rows.

If you are thinking you'll stake your pole beans next week, take my advice:  don't put this chore off any longer.

Time and tide and pole beans wait for no man!


No comments: