Tuesday, December 12, 2017

HEART & MOUTH

And he [Jesus] called the people to him and said to them, "Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person...Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person... - Matthew 15:10-11, 17-20a

* * *

I read once that you can tell what is inside a cup by observing what spills out when the cup is bumped; that similarly, a person's heart is revealed by what pours out when his heart is "bumped" by difficulties or trials.

A writer at The Christian Working Woman posed this question: "You know, it's not difficult to look good when everything's going okay. But it's at those times when we have to endure some unfavorable circumstances or some unpleasant treatment that we find out what we're like on the inside. I'd like to ask you: When your cup runs over, what spills out?"

When your cup runs over, what spills out?

Ouch! This question stings!

When I am angry or confused, do my words reflect faith in God's sovereignty and goodness - or - do they expose an overwhelming terror that my life is spinning out of control, hopelessly beyond the reach of God's wisdom and power? When someone hurts my feelings or disappoints me, am I able to speak words of truth and grace, words flowing from my identity in Christ - or - do my words smack of evil thoughts, false witness, and slander, words that flow from a need to justify or defend myself apart from Christ?

I would love to think that I am a strong, secure, kind, forgiving, gracious, truth-telling, Christ-dependent woman...but am I really? Never mind the virtuous self-image inside my head...what do the words that come out of my mouth say about me?

Our words are a litmus for understanding what is inside our hearts.

Sadly, my words often reveal that I am not the paragon of faith and virtue I'd like to believe. Rather, my words expose me as fearful, grasping, spiteful, weak-faithed and completely self-absorbed.

What am I to do then?

I could resolve to keep my mouth shut. To simply say nothing at all. Or, I could resolve to speak only positive, happy words, limiting my comments to topics I feel good about and avoiding topics that make me feel angry or afraid.

Only problem with such noble resolutions? The mean, nasty thoughts are still inside my heart and my head, even if I don't say them aloud. And unfortunately, sooner or later, the vomit inside my heart will erupt out of my mouth: I find I cannot not speak it.

So, what am I to do when the words coming out of my mouth are the equivalent of spiritual vomit?! The only thing I CAN do: own the wickedness inside my heart. Don't deny it, don't excuse it, don't try to explain why it's not so bad - just OWN it.

NOT - "I was having a bad day" - or - "He really pushed my buttons!" - or - "She asked for it" - or - "I just needed to get that off my chest."

INSTEAD - "Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner!"

I must own the wickedness inside my heart, and then repent.

When I downplay or deny the wickedness coming out of my mouth, I choose death over life, bondage over freedom, darkness over light.  I choose my sin over Christ's mercy, forgiveness, and righteousness.What a sad, sorry, terrible choice!

But when I own the wickedness coming out of my mouth, when I confess my sin and carry it to the cross, then I find that Jesus is faithful and just to forgive me of my sins and to cleanse me from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

Jesus takes my dead, rotten heart and my sinful mouth and my bitter, wretched words, and He gives me His righteousness instead. He gives me a living, loving heart, a heart overflowing with "rivers of living water," and He gives me a mouth that speaks truth and grace.

* * *

When your cup runs over, what spills out?

Jesus, please, please, please, let it be You.

No comments: