Tuesday, December 26, 2017

PAUSE, PLAY

I feel like somebody hit the Pause button on my brain and then misplaced the remote. Drrrrrrpt. I suspect this brain languor springs from a combination of too much food, too much down time, and too much smoke inhalation. I need some fresh air and exercise!

I am thankful for this mental pause at year's end. Next week, a new calendar goes up on the wall, and with the new calendar, all sorts of crazy-busy will leap out of the starting gate.

But today...rest!

What's new on the 2018 horizon?

A new job.
A new writing schedule.
New classes.
Figuring out a new normal weekly family rhythm.
New opportunities.
Who-knows-what-else...

As Steve and I snuggled on the couch and toasted our toes in front of the fire one evening this past week, we talked about how last Christmas - Christmas a year ago - we could never have predicted the events of the year just past. Absolutely NO WAY.

We also realized: neither of us has any idea, really, what is in store for us in the year ahead. That's a little scary; but mostly, it's exciting. This IS a forward race, after all. Whatever lies behind, whatever lies ahead...the finish line is Glory.

Today, I am savoring the rest and relative stillness as I consider a few of the infinite possibilities tucked within a new year. I don't know about you, but I am excited about the year ahead.

Now, where is that remote?!

* * *
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.- Hebrews 12:1-3


No comments: