Wednesday, January 3, 2018

OVER THE TOP

The expression "over the top" originated in WWI. When soldiers were ordered out of the trenches to charge across a dangerous stretch of unprotected ground, they went "over the top." These charges usually resulted in many casualties, and going "over the top" took remarkable discipline and courage.

Today, this idiom is used to describe someone who exhibits excessive or extreme behavior, someone who takes needless risks.

I recently received one of the greatest compliments I have ever received in my life. The person seated across the table from me stated: "You are over-the-top crazy about the Gospel."

I thought a second. "Yes, yes, I am," I conceded, "because the Gospel is all I have."

I am a mouse of a woman. If you have followed this blog for very long, you know that I struggle with an inordinate fear of man. On top of this fear of what others think about me, I am prone to be passive-aggressive - I'll do just about anything to maintain a semblance of peace rather than face conflict. And on top of that, knowing that concision is not my strong point, I am so afraid that in the midst of my too-many words, I will speak error into the life of someone I love.

People, I am a disaster. Fearful, insecure, overly analytical, weak, hesitant...NOT the kind of soldier with the strength and resolve to go "over the top" about anything on this battlefield called life...except that Jesus is so all-together lovely, so completely sufficient, so unfalteringly faithful, so sweetly tender and compassionate, so truly amazing that I cannot not follow where He leads.

So, yes, I am over-the-top crazy about the Gospel. Maybe that seems extreme or excessive to some. But I would rather stand exposed and vulnerable next to Jesus in the middle of No Man's Land, than to remain behind, tucked safely in the trenches, trying to defend myself without Him.

If I am going to be over-the-top crazy about something, let that something be Jesus. 

No comments: