Friday, August 25, 2023

PTO

I'm sitting here drinking a terrible cup of coffee out of a totally awesome mug, struggling unsuccessfully to shift my brain into writing gear.


Maybe I should just empty the carafe, make a fresh pot of decent coffee, and start again.

I rarely take PTO...paid time off...but my boss recommended it a couple of weeks ago, and so today, I am getting paid to not roll up my odometer between visits where I talk with patients and families about heady stuff like poop, pain, and No, you are not going to get better. 

Instead, on my holiday, I have been doing exciting things like:
  • balanced my checkbook
  • hauled the trash to the highway
  • washed Mom's laundry and changed her sheets
  • bought fresh peaches at the produce stand
  • dropped off a few items at Goodwill
  • delivered freshly baked cupcakes to a friend who helped me with the car purchase over 4 months ago
  • washed said car and filled it up with gas
  • bought groceries for the week ahead
  • took a short nap
  • washed my scrubs to get ready for next week
  • cleaned off my desk
  • emptied and refilled the dishwasher
  • and other sundry diversions
It's. Been. Awesome.

You see, I have not yet figured out how to do the whole work full-time, keep on top of housework, run errands in town, feed people, do paperwork, etc. all-at-the-same-time thing. I seriously need a day in between all the other days when I can go to the bank, shop for groceries, and get my oil changed. How do people who work during "normal business hours" do all the things besides work that you can only do during normal business hours? (If you know the answer, please share your secret in the comments - I need help!)

My day off hasn't really been a day off work. It's been a day of doing different work, work that has been long neglected because my usual days "on" sap all my energy and brain cells.

But back to the lousy cup of coffee and my absolute favorite mug...

This mug was a gift from my dear friend Donna (second from right). The group depicted on the mug is a sisterhood that has supported me through the best and the worst of life.

Monday through Thursday of this past week, I put in long, hard days at the paying job. Today, on my day off, I put in a long day at a different job that is just as essential.

And tomorrow?

Tomorrow, I get to spend time with Katherine, Donna, and Teresa.

Tomorrow, not today, will be the much-needed "holiday" that restores my soul.

No comments: