Sunday, December 6, 2009

HEARTY POTATO SOUP

In an attempt to radically reduce our grocery bill last fall, my family decided to try eating soup for dinner every night for a month...except on Sundays, which were "feast" days. We tried as many different soup recipes as possible, to avoid boring repetition, and eventually developed a repertoire of about twenty soups. With the return of cold weather, soup is once again a frequent item on the menu. I've decided to share some of our favorite recipes on days when life prevents my writing a longer post. Everyone at my table loves this first recipe, given to me several years ago by my sister Suzanne.


HEARTY POTATO SOUP


3 T. butter
1 medium carrot, diced
1/4 c. chopped onioin
2 T. flour
1 quart milk
1 chicken bouillon cube (or 1 t. granules)
6 medium potatoes-peeled, cooked, and diced
2 T. chopped parsley
1 t. salt
1/2 t. seasoned salt


Melt butter in dutch oven or large soup pot. Add carrot and onion; cook until tender. Blend in flour; when bubbly, gradually stir in milk and bouillon cube. When slightly thickened, add half the potatoes. Mash remaining potatoes and stir in with parsley and seasoning. Serve steaming hot with some crusty bread. Serves 4.


(Note: I use this recipe as a basic guideline, but make a much larger batch for my family. It's very easy to double or triple as needed.)

No comments: