Friday, December 18, 2009

I LOVE YOU LIKE...

One of my teenage sons had just asked for the umpteenth time for some item he thought would make his life wonderful and complete. And for the umpteenth time, I denied his request.

"But why can't I have a -----?" he persisted.

"Because I don't think having a ----- would be good for you. I'm your mother and it's my job to do what's best for you, which may not necessarily be what would make you most happy at the moment. Because I love you, you cannot have a -----."

A brief silence was followed quickly by, "But Nick's mom loves him, and she let him have a -----."

"I am not Nick's mom. I'm your mom," I replied. "Do you want me to love you like you are my son, or do you want me to love you like you are Nick's mom's son?

Another brief, thoughtful silence....and then my son looked up with a smile on his face. "Yeah, I'm your son!" he laughed. "I'm cool with that!" He headed out of the kitchen and off to find some new project to occupy his attention.

That episode got me to thinking.....there are a lot of things in life that I don't understand, things that I wish were different, things that I want but don't have, things that I do have but wish that I didn't! But everything in my life has been carefully and deliberately planned and orchestrated by my heavenly Father, for my good and for His glory. He is doing exactly what is best for me.

God doesn't love me like I'm the neighbor's kid from down the street, or like I'm Adam's child, or like I'm His favorite niece. He loves my like I am His very own, precious daughter. And I am! When I pause to seriously consider that the circumstances of my life are filtered through His perfect Father love - even though I may not understand His reasons, even though my own desires may not be realized - hopefully I can respond, smiling like my son, "I'm cool with that!"


How great is the love the Father has lavished on us,
that we should be called children of God!
And that is what we are!
1 John 3:1

No comments: