Tuesday, September 28, 2010

TITUS 2-SDAY - THANK A TEACHER

I am so grateful for the wonderful teachers I have known over the years. Even when attending relatively small churches, I've had available to me classes taught by diligent, enthusiastic, hard-working brothers and sisters in Christ. Books of the Bible, church history, ministry, evangelism, parenting - diverse topics, and sometimes difficult doctrines.

Currently at Grace, we are doing a study by The Apologetics Group on Wednesday evenings - Amazing Grace. Amazing Grace....amazing stuff! We haven't shied from discussing the sovereignty of God in election, the efficacy of Christ's atonement on behalf of His people, and "false gospels" of Grace-Plus embraced by many contemporary churches. We have some animated discussions. Sometimes, my head is so full it feels like it will explode. Always, I leave encouraged, challenged, stronger in my faith and in my understanding of Scripture.

Sunday mornings, we just finished up a study on heaven. I missed most of that class because I was teaching preschoolers over the summer. It's a good thing I wasn't able to attend the entire series...after just the last three weeks, I'm ready to check out and head home! Next week, we will begin a new class looking at the prayers of the saints recorded in Scripture. I am really excited about this new study and am eager to see how the things I'll learn will impact my own prayer life.

In my journey through the Bible this year, I just finished Galatians. This verse in chapter six jumped out at me yesterday - One who is taught the word must share all good things with the one who teaches. (Gal. 6:6) I am definitely "one who is taught" and I have received much that is good from the labors of those willing to teach. This verse reminded me that I should not keep the good things I'm learning to myself. I need to say to those teaching me, "Thank you." I need to let them know their work is impacting my faith and my life. I need to look for opportunities to bless those who step into the yoke of teaching in practical ways, to share with them "all good things."

I couldn't name here all the individuals who have taught classes in which I participated. They are simply too numerous. But today, I can write a note of thanks. It's a start.

No comments: