Thursday, April 2, 2015

READY FOR SWIMSUIT SEASON?

I can't believe I haven't been on the blog in over two weeks. Well, actually, yes, I can believe it. Between music recitals and taking the cat to the vet and trying to clean at least some small part of my house EVERY SINGLE DAY (whose crazy idea was this 30 Day Challenge?!) and planting trees and working hard on Book #3, I simply have not had time to play - which is what writing here at the blog is for me. The Hurricane Report is the treat I give myself when I've been a good girl and put in a full day's work. Lately, though, the days have been TOO full.

Today is going to be full and crazy busy, too, but I decided that I need to take a play break anyway, whether I get everything done on my list or not. (We may be having pizza for supper tonight, guys.)

So, what shall I write about today...?

First, how about an update on the Just One Egg weight loss program:  I told you I would check back in after the holidays, and we are definitely past Thanksgiving and Christmas now. This has been a s-l-o-w, drawn out, very gradual effort. I have had good days and bad days. (I really need for Helen to swear that she will never again make her fabulous wedding cake cupcakes. Ever.) Still, after five months, I am SUPER THRILLED to announce that I have lost right at 20 pounds!!!! If you do the math, that is an average of less than a pound a week - hard to stay committed and motivated when the results are so slow in coming. But, all in all, I think we can count the One Egg weight loss program a success.

Soooooo......

Helen and I were at a local outlet store last week, and they had new swimsuits on the display racks. Since I am significantly smaller than last summer, I decided I probably should check out the new swimsuits. This is probably the first time in fifteen years that I've had the opportunity to reasonably expect to need a smaller size. Shopping for a swimsuit after losing a little weight should be fun, right?

Wrong.

For a couple of reasons.

First, when you are 50-something, and you have over the course of your life given birth to seven children (one of whom weighed 10+ pounds), and you have just lost a significant amount of weight....how to put this delicately, hmmm....everything sags. Everything. So, while that cute bathing suit with the white polka dots might inspire thoughts of looking all trim and perky at the pool this summer, your fantasy will disappear in a puff of smoke when you step into the dressing room and begin to tuck all your lose folds and droopy bits into said bathing suit. The effect is something kind of like rice in a pair of pantyhose. Nothing perky happening there!

And if that slap of reality wasn't enough of a downer, I discovered that I had blue legs. You know, blue, splotchy skin, like special effects make-up for a Zombie movie. Or like I was Morticia's long-lost great aunt. The realization that my legs were now officially and undeniably "old lady legs" was more than I could take. I dressed and skulked out of the changing room. NO MORE TRYING ON BATHING SUITS FOR ME.

The good news is....

Even though the package is a bit saggy, I am still super excited that the number on the bathroom scale has dropped. Loose skin is not going to ruin that party!

And my legs, well...

That evening when I was showering before bed, I noticed that the soap foam running into the drain was a light shade of blue. That's odd, I thought. It didn't take long to figure out that my "blue legs" were caused by the blue dye from the pair of jeans I had been wearing that day. Yes, my legs were still blotchy, but at least they were not blue. I was greatly comforted.

Still, I don't plan on shopping for a bathing suit again any time soon. It's going to take me a while to recover from the trauma of that last shopping trip.

No comments: