Thursday, June 21, 2018

WHY DOES THE CHURCH NEGLECT HER OWN? (Part 3 of 4)

(Part 1: HERE. Part 2: HERE.)

I do not know why the church neglects and wounds her own. I do know...

It is not because the church loved me well that I grew to love Jesus. It is because Jesus loves me well that I am resolved to love the church. Even when I am neglected, wounded, weary, sore.

And toward that end, I pray: God, please grant me true repentance. Not lip service, but genuine contrition. Help me to turn away from this wickedness in my heart that inclines me not to love your bride.

I pray God will forgive me for simplistic answers and misapplied Bible verses, Scripture wielded like a bludgeon against the stumbling and the broken-hearted.

I pray God will forgive me for settling for shallow, superficial relationships. Of  saying "It's so good to see you!" on Sunday morning, then giving no thought to that person throughout the week. Lord, give me the desire for and equip me to pursue relationships that are intentional, engaged, intimate, inconvenient.

I pray God will forgive me for my self-defensiveness, lack of faith, and fear of dark places of the soul. Jesus went to hell and back for his people. Why do I think He expects me to do less? Jesus says, "Follow me."

I pray for eyes to see the needs of those around me, and for wisdom and discernment to know how to love my sisters and brothers well.

I pray that God will cure me of lethargy, passivity, and self-interest.

I pray for courage to walk toward the hurting and into the strife, not away, even when I am hurting, too.

I pray for integrity, the moral strength to tell the truth instead of ignoring sin or pretending everything is fine when it is not, simply because I fear the reactions of others.

I pray for mercy, for me and for the church I love.

No comments: