Friday, September 11, 2026

CLASSMATES

Information and material for my September class at Westminster Theological Seminary loaded on Monday morning. Looking through the course syllabus, assigned readings, schedule of lectures, and homework assignments, I felt a familiar knot in the pit of my stomach.

I am so out of my league in this program, friends.

But by God's grace, here I am. Intimidated, yes, but also incredibly excited. Every class so far has challenged, encouraged, and grown me in ways I could not have imagined. Introduction to Systematic Theology promises to do the same.

Since Monday was a holiday and I had a little free time, I decided to get a jump start on the first week's reading assignment. First up: John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book 1, chapters 1-9.

Mom left me some books that she thought might be helpful for my studies at WTS. Sure enough, there among the gifted books, I found a copy of Calvin's Institutes. The book is old, with yellowed pages and a cracked spine. I carefully pulled the book from the shelf and sat down to begin reading, thinking the whole time, "What on earth have I gotten into? Who do I think I am, taking theology classes at a school like Westminster?"

Well, let's do this.

I took a deep breath and opened the book.

"Chas. C. West, Columbia Seminary, 1932-'35"

The inscription inside the front cover made me feel like God himself was smiling at this timid student!

Charles West was my Mom's daddy. I knew him as a quiet, gentle, retired Presbyterian minister with a thin gray fringe around his otherwise bald head.

But in 1932, Charles West was a 22-year-old student at a prestigious seminary in Decatur, Georgia. I looked at the inscription, scrawled in his familiar handwriting, and wondered: Did Granddaddy feel like me, holding this book in his hands back in 1932...intimidated? nervous? excited?

I suspect he did.

I may be out of my league...but even so, I am in the very best company.

I smiled and began reading.

This book is absolutely lovely and is a delight to read.

* * *

Thank you, Mom, for this lovely book. Thank you, Granddaddy. Thank you, John Calvin.

Thank you, Lord.

* * *

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments: