In honor of the holiday, I prepared a list yesterday afternoon of things to do today:
- Laundry
- Continue cleaning out Mom's closet
- Clean off one more bookshelf in the living room
- Access and review coursework for my next class
- Map out schedule for schoolwork for the semester ahead
* * *
Once upon a time, I enjoyed kayaking. Actually, I enjoy many things associated with being near/in/on the water: I am very bouyant, so water feels almost like my natural element.
My son and daughter-in-law introduced me to kayaking a couple of years ago - thank you, Tom and Carly! - but the hobby comes with a few significant obstacles:
- Same offspring instructed me to never go kayaking alone, and both opportunities to kayak and buddies to paddle with are very rare.
- Transporting my kayak is problematic: I have a cargo rack on top of my Rav4 and a lovely set of ratchet straps, but I also have crappy shoulders and am unable to actually lift the kayak onto the roof of my car.
This year has been The Year of Doing Hard Things. Yesterday evening, I decided it was time to tackle one more Hard Thing. I did not want to spend my entire day off work...doing work.
I recruited my #2 son to help me figure out a way for his wimpy 62-year-old mother to actually load my kayak. (Thank you, Nate!) We formulated a strategy; Nate demonstrated the technique; the kayak was unloaded from the Rav4, and then I reloaded it ALL BY MYSELF. There was nothing graceful or attractive about the process, and it took a hot minute, but I did eventually get the kayak firmly secured on top of my car without damaging either the kayak or the vehicle. Woot!
![]() |
| Loaded! |
Do not fear: safety precautions were taken!
- I wore my lifejacket the entire time I was on the lake. (Normally, I sit on it. I have never been anxious about falling out and drowning because I am...well...very bouyant.)
- A family member knew my location the entire time I was out. I let this person know when I got on the lake and when I came off - AND - using the magic of Life360, she even monitored me as I paddled. (Thank you, Abby!)
![]() |
| Abby texted: "This cracks me up!" |
- Kids who help me "figure out a way" when things are hard
- For my friend Hannah, who listened to me cry as I drove to the lake because I don't like doing hard/new/scary things, especially by myself
- For 3 lovely strangers who welcomed me into their family outing (& shared their sunscreen :) )
- For a beautiful lake, a clear blue sky, and a cool breeze over the water
- For a God who sees, cares, and tells me that He loves me, over and over and over again


No comments:
Post a Comment