Wednesday, June 15, 2011

FROM ISAAC WATTS TO ZZ TOP

A couple - friends from our young church - came over Sunday evening for a little musical fellowship. Let's see...we had an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, a banjo, a fiddle, and a little bit of penny whistle. Musical selections ranged from old-time favorites like "Shady Grove" and "Wildwood Flower," to classic hymns such as "It Is Well With My Soul" and "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross," to Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" and a bit of ZZ Top.

We played music. (Actually, I didn't play anything - I mainly listened!) We sang. We harmonized. We laughed. We reveled in the bond that was ours in Christ.

Too. Much. Fun.

I am amazed and absolutely delighted at the variety, beauty, and vivacity of God's children. I have heard it said that we cannot profess love for Christ and yet dislike and spurn the company of His church. Granted, His church is a collection of messy people with messy problems and messy lives. But I don't know how anyone can spend time with God's people and not grow to love them and to love their Saviour.

These truly are the Beautiful Ones, made beautiful by Christ Himself.

You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. - 1 Peter 2:9

No comments: