Wednesday, June 22, 2011

IN THE VINEYARD

...when thou wakest in the morning look for Him; when thou liest down at night look for Him. - from last week's Charles Spurgeon quote

I wake up slowly. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that I am slow to rise. I'm awake alright, and have been awake for some time - I just need several minutes (an hour?) to lie quietly and think and pray. Like Spurgeon, I want time in the morning to look for Jesus, before my feet hit the floor, before the demands and obligations of the day press upon me.

This morning, I was greeted by the sound of my three teenage boys talking and laughing in the kitchen. I'd heard first one and then another shuffle quietly downstairs. What kind of moods are they in today? What are their attitudes as they head off to work? Are they enjoying each other and the time they have together? My prayer this morning was that these young men would be diligent workers, honoring Christ with the labor of their hands and with their attitudes and conversation. My prayer was that they would encourage and edify each other and that somehow they could understand how precious this time is they have together.

These three are working in a vineyard this summer, pruning and training grape vines. They make an awesome team. No, I don't anticipate that they'll be having lengthy theological discussions as they pull wire, trim vines, and haul brush. But between singing bad country songs and conversations about fishing and cars and guns, they will communicate to one another much about faith, about grace, about Christ, as they labor side-by-side. As they labor together under the watchful eye and in the graceful presence of the Master vine-dresser.

And it blessed this mother's heart to hear them beginning another long sun-soaked work day...with laughter.

You shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace....Isaiah 55:12a

No comments: