Monday, July 18, 2011

THIS IS THE GOOD STUFF!

We practice a rather traditional order of worship at Grace on Sundays. We read Scripture responsively for our Call to Worship, then sing the Gloria Patri. Very early in the service, we have a time of prayer to confess our sins. At some point, the congregation recites one of the historic church creeds - the Apostles' Creed, the Nicene Creed - or we read aloud the Ten Commandments.

Some people think creeds are old-fashioned, out-of-date. Personally, I love them. I love the bond it gives us as followers of Christ, locally and around the globe. While I am standing in a small church in Troy, Tennessee, verbalizing the truth that yes, I do indeed believe in God, the Father Almighty, it thrills and encourages me to know that in Millington this Sunday morning, my sister Jenny is articulating exactly the same thing. And Larry in Nashville, and Alan in Chattanooga, and Bill in Scotland...It is so good to remember as a body the things that bind us together in faith!

Intercessory prayer, giving of tithes and offerings, singing theologically-rich hymns, reading Scripture together. As Brother Billy puts it, we read Scripture, pray Scripture, sing Scripture, see Scripture (in baptism and in the Lord's Supper), act on Scripture. No wonder Sunday morning worship is such a time of refreshment!

I suppose every Christian has a favorite aspect of corporate worship. Some particularly enjoy the singing; others, the prayer. I like it all, but at a certain moment every Sunday morning, I confess I feel a brighter, more distinct joy.

We read the passage to be exposited for the morning, followed by a traditional call and response: "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." Every Sunday morning, as we then settle into our pews for the sermon, I have this distinct thrill...Now we're getting to the good stuff!

I love the Word of God. I love to gather with my sisters and brothers in Christ to read and study and consider what God has written to us. And I am so very thankful for a pastor and for elders and teachers who devote themselves to thoughtful study so that I can feast week after week on such rich fare. This is the good stuff!

1 comment:

J. K. Jones said...

I have a habit I picked up from something I read about C. H. Spurgeon. Every Sunday, before his part in the service, he would repeat over and over to himself apportion of the Apostke's Creed. I repeat the same one: "I believe in ... The forgiveness of sins."

Helps me focus on God instead of me, at
least insofar as one leading the music can do so.