Wednesday, August 31, 2011

SOLOMON'S NURSERY

Psalm 126 encouraged me greatly Monday morning. Also that morning, I read Psalm 127. Short. Only five verses. Maybe because I was/am so tired, I got kind of tickled reading through this Psalm. (Did I mention that my brain gets oober-squirrely when I'm tired?)

"What's so funny about Psalm 126?" you ask.

First, remember that it was written by a man who had close to a thousand wives and concubines. And I think it's safe to assume that from that great harem of women came a plethora of children. Lots and lots of babies.

Remember the baby days, moms? The middle-of-the-night feedings? The all-night flu bugs? (How many sets of sheets can a child go through in one night?) Trying to catch up on reading, chores, etc., after the baby is finally in bed for the night, only to find yourself moving in a zombified daze? Waking up in the gray morning light with a drooling toddler standing right next to your head, staring into your face?

And Solomon wrote these two verses in succession: It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. Behold children are a heritage of the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward...

Anyway, that particular juxtaposition hit my funny bone Monday morning. Had me chuckling to myself all day.

So, moms, do you think Solomon spent much time in the nursery?!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Out of the mouths of males! I never connect restful sleep with parenting. Thank you for the chuckle.