Thursday, November 18, 2010

POLLY'S PUMPKIN PIE

With the onset of fall weather, I had this idea of using Thursdays to post some of my family's favorite fall-ish recipes, starting with soups. However, at the request of a fan (Hi, Michael!), today's post is a recipe for pumpkin pie. As a small child, I remember my mom making this pie each year at Thanksgiving - it is dark, smooth, and spicy. This is not the wimpy whipped-topping variety preferred by those timid about pumpkin!

The recipe comes from a dear family friend who passed away last year, Mrs. Polly Lowrance. Polly made the best pumpkin pie and the best fried peach pies of anyone I've ever known - and she served both with such a sweet spirit and with lots of love.

POLLY'S PUMPKIN PIE

10-inch single pie crust, unbaked (deep-dish crust)
2 cups fresh or canned pumpkin (cooked)
1/2 cup molasses
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. grated orange rind
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves
3 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk

Combine and mix thoroughly: pumpkin, molasses, sugar, flour, salt, orange rind, and spices. Add eggs. Beat; add milk; mix well. Pour into pie crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, or until firm in center. Delicious served with a dollop of whipped cream!

Notes: This makes a lot of filling - I usually have more than I need for a single pie and end up throwing some away. By making one-and-a-half recipe, I can make three 9-inch pies. This is what I usually do, because then the recipe calls for 3 c. pumpkin (1 large can) and 1 1/2 c. evaporated milk (one 12-ounce can). Of course, your family may not be able to consume three pumpkin pies in one holiday weekend!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments: